The regular meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Mount Hope was held at Town Hall on February 3, 2014 at 7:30pm with the following present: Supervisor Chad Volpe, Councilman Matt Howell, Councilman Gary Ketcham, Councilwoman Janet Sutherland, Councilman Dominick Cambareri and Deputy Town Clerk Amy Hassenmayer. Not: Kathleen A. Myers, Town Clerk.
OFFICIALS PRESENT: Highway Supt. D. Hassenmayer, Highway Clerk J. Musial, Police Chief P. Rickard, Town Attorneys D. Bavoso & B. Bavoso.
Following the Pledge of Allegiance, Supervisor Volpe called the meeting to order at 7:30pm. At this time Supervisor Volpe asked the audience to silence cell phones.
RESOLUTION TO ACCEPT THE PRIOR MEETING MINUTES:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Cambareri that the minutes of the 1-21-14 meeting as submitted are approved. Councilwoman Sutherland did not receive her minutes so this resolution is tabled.
- Letter of interest for Planning Board from Brian Cutler
- Letter of resignation from Tom Gilmore
- Report from K C Engineering re: Garage Door
- Memo from Assessor re: Data Collector
- Memo from Assessor re: small claims assessments
- Memo from Assessor re: Deed transfer of Section 21-Hidden Valley
- Roof Repair Quotes: CJBD, Douglas-Alexander Construction, Frank Stevens & Sons Roofing
- Mount Hope Fire – January Report
POLICE DEPARTMENT by Chief Rickard:
Chief Rickard needs resolution from the 1/21/2014 minutes for the DWI Contract. Steve Dodd has fixed the heat issue. Car 151 is back they replaced the cam and lifters (warranty item). Chief Rickard reported that he e-mailed to Board members a draft of Domestic Violence Policy. Copies were given to attorneys. He gave Board members copies of Police Discipline Law from Wallkill for Board members to review. He requested permission to send one Officer to NYS Traffic Safety Conference on April 8 & 9 in Albany; he has not picked an Officer yet. Cost is $104 meals & lodging included.
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT by Supt. Hassenmayer:
Supt. Hassenmayer recommended for the board to accept the low bid on the roof repairs from CJBD. All roofers were told that we need to reseal the seams. References for CJBD were received from City of Middletown and Village of Otisville. He spoke re: 1992 Boom Truck from NJ Turnpike, (2 man bucket with crane) used for tree repair being unable to be inspected due to age. He will take it out of service and he is not looking to replace it. Nelson Tree company has been very helpful because we let them park here. He would like to surplus the vehicle and will take off insurance tomorrow. Councilman Cambareri asked when was last time hydraulics were certified. Supt. Hassenmayer stated that it was 2 years ago and supposed to be done yearly. He also spoke re: going to bid for a chipper he will place add in paper. New hiree is narrowed down to 2. Both need road-test. Councilwoman Sutherland asked how many applications were received. Supt. Hassenmayer advised 25 were received & narrowed down to 8 for interviews; narrowed again down to 4 with Supervisor Volpe. Supervisor Volpe will sit in on final interviews.
VILLAGE OF OTISVILLE by Trustee Melton:
Trustee Melton reported the Village park was closed due to water main break. Everything else is going well.
PLANNING BOARD by Councilman Ketcham:
Councilman Ketcham advised that he attended the meeting. Chairman Gilmore resigned his position. Wayne Howell was appointed as the new Chairman.
MOUNT HOPE FIRE COMPANY by Wayne Melton:
Mr. Melton read the January 2014 report & reminded Supervisor Volpe that they are open to meet with the new representatives from the Board.
At this time, Supervisor Volpe thanked Dean for putting vote information on sign board and Julie for putting vote information on web-site.
RESOLUTION TO ACCEPT PLANNING BOARD CHAIRMAN RESIGNATION:
MOTION offered by Councilman Cambareri seconded by Councilman Howell to accept the resignation of Tom Gilmore as Planning Board Chairman effective January 27, 2014. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO REINSTATE PARK SUPERVISOR POSITION:
MOTION offered by Councilman Cambareri seconded by Councilman Howell to reinstate the Parks Supervisor position with Dean Hassenmayer as Parks Supervisor. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
Councilwoman Sutherland inquired about the initial issue with the Parks Supervisor position. Supervisor Volpe stated that, per Goshen, Dean cannot appear twice on County list (Safety Officer and Parks Supervisor). Supervisor Volpe will remove the Safety Officer position and do this himself and reinstate Dean as Park Supervisor. Councilwoman Sutherland asked Supt. Hassenmayer what his duties were as Safety Officer. He advised that he made sure that fire extinguishers were inspected, signage in the buildings for fire extinguishers were there.
EMPLOYEE MANUAL AMENDMENT:
Supervisor Volpe stated that this will be tabled.
RESOLUTION TO CHANGE NEXT BOARD MEETING:
MOTION offered by Councilwoman Sutherland seconded by Councilman Cambareri to move the February 18, 2014 meeting to February 26, 2014 at 7:30pm and to schedule a Public Hearing for the Hauling Rates increase for February 26, 2014 at 7:15pm
All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
Councilwoman Sutherland asked Supervisor Volpe to explain the reason for moving the meeting. Supervisor Volpe stated because if the vote for the referendum comes back no – not to sell the building then we have 72 hours to move the building out of surplus into Town assets to avoid paying $16,450.00 on March 1, 2014 in taxes.
RESOLUTION TO APPOINT NEW PLANNING BOARD CHAIRMAN:
MOTION offered by Councilman Ketcham seconded by Councilman Cambareri to appoint Wayne Howell as the Planning Board Chairman. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO APPROVE ROOF REPAIR:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Cambareri to approve CJBD to repair the roof for the Highway building for $4110.00. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO SEND OFFICER TO NYS TRAFFIC SAFETY SCHOOL:
MOTION offered by Councilwoman Sutherland seconded by Councilman Howell to approve sending one Officer to NYS Traffic Safety School in Albany, NY on April 8 & 9, 2014 at approx. cost of $104.00. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO SURPLUS 1992 BUCKET TRUCK:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Cambareri to surplus a 1992 Bucket truck. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
At this time Supervisor Volpe advised he will table the new Planning Board member until next time.
RESOLUTION TO AUDIT THE CLAIMS:
MOTION offered by Councilman Ketcham seconded by Councilman Howell to approve the following bills:
GENERAL A: #51-78 $ 49880.54
GENERAL B: #8-9 $ 3326.00
HIGHWAY: #9-12 $ 35048.98
SEWER: #10-11 $ 2301.83
THRALL LIBRARY: #1 $ 1984.00
HOWELLS FIRE: #1 $ 201409.00
All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO APPROVE GOING TO BID FOR A CHIPPER:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Cambareri to approve going to Bid for a Wood Chipper and the ad will go in THR. All in Favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
At this time Councilman Ketcham stated that the Planning Board meetings will be on the 3rd Wednesday night of the month.
- Bakker asked about Employee Manual updates. Deputy Town Clerk will check on it in the morning. Councilwoman Sutherland questioned something on the web-site after clarification Ms. Musial stated that Kathleen only puts the minutes on web-site and she (Mrs. Musial) handles the rest.
- Maurizzio asked if more copies of the minutes could be available. Councilman Cambareri advised it will be taken care of. M. Maurizzio inquired who picks Zoning Board Attorney. Supervisor Volpe advised that each Board can pick their attorney. Attorney Bavoso stated that as per Section 271 of Town Law of SNY, Planning Board can appoint its own Attorney. Mr. Bavoso will check for the Zoning Board.
- Loeven spoke about minutes being scanned in and doing searches on them. She also spoke about Community Advisory Board for the Prisons. She thanked Councilman Cambareri for becoming a member of that Board. She asked if anyone is in contact with Mr. Novak to ask him if he is still interested in being on that Board.
- Ketcham is confirming that the Town of Mount Hope sent a letter to T/O Mamakating re: Seven Peaks. Attorney D. Bavoso has been corresponding with them and they will advise when their next Planning Board meeting re: Seven Peaks will be scheduled. He believes their next meeting will be on 4th Tues. of month. Advised T/O Mamakating has a new Engineer for this and that is Al Fusco who has not approved the environmental impact statement as yet because it is only in draft. Mr. Bavoso was advised that T/O Mount Hope will be added to the mailing list re: Seven Peaks.
- Musial questioned re: Absentee Ballot for Referendum Vote. Supervisor Volpe stated due to time constraints this is not feasible.
TOWN BOARD COMMENTS:
Supervisor Volpe spoke of the memo from the Assessor about the Hidden Valley Deed Transfer for Section 21. It was reviewed by Planning and Building Departments and it does have to be added to the existing district.
RESOLUTION TO ADJOURN:
MOTION offered by Councilman Cambareri seconded by Councilman Howell to adjourn the meeting at 8:10pm. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO RE-OPEN MEETING:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilwoman Sutherland to re-open meeting at 8:11pm. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
RESOLUTION TO APPROVE PRIOR MEETING MINUTES:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Cambareri to approve the prior meeting minutes from January 21, 2014 as presented. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri. OPPOSED: Councilwoman Sutherland (as she did not receive her copy). MOTION Carried.
RESOLUTION TO ADJOURN:
MOTION offered by Councilman Cambareri seconded by Councilman Howell to adjourn the meeting at 8:14pm. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Sutherland, Cambareri. Carried.
The next meeting is scheduled for February 26, 2014 at 7:30pm; Public Hearing for Hauling Rates Increase 7:15pm.
Deputy Town Clerk