The regular meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Mount Hope was held at Town Hall on August 4, 2014 7:30pm with the following present: Supervisor Chad Volpe, Councilman Matt Howell, Councilman Gary Ketcham, Councilman Cambareri and Town Clerk Kathleen Myers.
NOT PRESENT: Councilwoman Janet Sutherland
OFFICIALS PRESENT: Highway Supt. D. Hassenmayer, Police Chief P. Rickard
The meeting was called to order at 7:30pm by Supervisor Volpe following the Pledge of Allegiance. He asked for cell phones to be silenced and/or turned off.
RESOLUTION TO ACCEPT PRIOR MEETING MINUTES:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Ketcham that the minutes of the July 21, 2014 meeting as submitted are approved. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
- Building Inspector report July 2014
- Zoning changes recommendation from Planning Board
- KC Engineering proposal for structural inspection & report
- July 2014 MH fire report
POLICE DEPARTMENT by Chief Rickard:
- The rodents in the attic at the station. 2 squirrels were trapped up there. Dean got it taken care of. Total damage was $277.50.
- Recommended to the board to secure the bottom floor windows and doors from the outside. At this point it’s a safety risk.
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT by Supt. Hassenmayer:
- Requested permission to help the Lions Club with the fair.
- He researched the Orange Hills, Hunters Run/ Charlotte Lane/Dulcie Court. It was accepted to the town – April 28, 1997. History goes back to the ‘80’s. Everything had 2 ½” binder coarse & 1 ½” topcoarse. In ’89 some specs were changed. Builder was notified. Everything was done as it should have been. Supervisor Volpe asked how long the department usually helps with the fair. Supt. Hassenmayer noted that its usually the week of the fair M-W then usually 2 days to break it down; he uses about ¾ of his staff. Chief Rickard added: he met with fair committee and they will go with the same plan as in the past.
VILLAGE OF OTISVILLE:
Trustee Loeven reported that the yard sale was a huge success. She thanked the Police Dept. for all their work. They will have a recap meeting later this week & will notify Paul/Pat.
Trustee Loeven reported that there are special activities planned for everyday this week. Everything this year has gone smoothly. Only 1 issue since last meeting. She spoke with the parent.
At this time, Trustee Loeven added that the village board is all set to go with the joint meeting on the 18th.
HIDDEN VALLEY: No report.
Supervisor Volpe noted there was no meeting this month.
Chief Doty reported that the department has gotten great feedback on Facebook with the wetdowns at summer recreation. He gave monthly report (on file in Town Clerk’s office). There was a structure fire on Mountain Road yesterday. Everything went well.
- Ketcham reported: committee met last week. Megan Tannerman came of OC Planning Department. Next meeting is 8-11 at 7pm at Presbyterian Church. He would like to do another cleaning day.
OLD SCHOOL ROOF REPAIR:
Supt. Hassenmayer reported: Wednesday he will borrow a bucket truck from T/O Highland. He will cut the tree at park just down from pavilion. He will use the truck also to clean gutters at old school. Supervisor Volpe added: a lot of work to be done on the roof proposal is for the gutters. Councilman Cambareri added: he was away for 2 weeks but he has another company coming on Saturday for an estimate.
ZONING CHANGE REQUEST:
Supervisor Volpe spoke: everyone should have received the letter of proposal from KC Engineering re: potential zoning changes. Atty. Bavoso reported: he would draft a local law to enact those changes recommended by the Planning Board, at the town board’s request. SEQR would also have to be done. The letter written to the town board was at the request of the planning board.
RESOLUTION TO MOVE FORWARD WITH ZONING CHANGE REQUEST:
MOTION offered by Councilman Cambareri seconded by Councilman Howell to approve the potential zoning changes requested through the planning board. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
KC ENGINEERING PROPOSAL:
Supervisor Volpe reported: he received a proposal from KC Engineering to go soup to nuts for the old Otisville school. He asked if anyone had questions/concerns. He asked the board’s pleasure. Councilman Cambareri: does not think we should do anything yet. He thinks it should be scaled down. Councilman Ketcham: thought it was a generic proposal. We need to figure out what we want to do & figure out cost. Councilman Howell agreed. He thinks there needs to be more direction/more description. Supervisor Volpe: we will table this until next meeting.
SECURING OLD SCHOOL:
Supervisor Volpe reported: after talking with Chief Rickard and spending a few nights there this week, he recommends moving ahead with boarding up wherever anyone can access from without a ladder. A recent attempt was made with a crowbar. Start to finish looking at 45-50 for 2 police officers to check the school each time. This will prevent more issues/further damage. He believes it will be under $1,000. Supt. Hassenmayer added: figured out about 30 sheets of plywood with 3 guys/day maybe day and ½. Supervisor Volpe: this should deter any further attempts. Chief Rickard: asked about NO TRESPASSING signs. Supervisor stated he put 10 up and will do again with the plywood.
RESOLUTION TO BOARD OLD SCHOOL:
MOTION offered by Councilman Cambareri seconded by Councilman Howell to approve board up the bottom of the old Otisville School all doors except main entry door. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
RESOLUTION TO APPROVE LETTER OF DEMAND TO BE SENT TO HORIZON SENIORS:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Cambareri that a letter of demand be sent by Attorney David Bavoso, to Horizon Seniors. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
RESOLUTION TO ALLOW HIGHWAY EMPLOYEES TO ASSIST WITH COUNTRY FAIR:
MOTION offered by Councilman Ketcham seconded by Councilman Howell to authorize the Town Highway employees to assist with the Otisville Country Fair as it is advantageous to the community and a joint venture with the Otisville Country fair and the Lions Club. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
WORK DAY AT OLD SCHOOL:
Supervisor Volpe asked if any board members are interested in letting this happen again. He spoke with insurance company. Both feet must stay on the ground and no ladders are to be used.
They will pick a day and approve at next meeting.
RESOLUTION TO AUDIT THE CLAIMS:
MOTION offered by Councilman Howell seconded by Councilman Ketcham to approve the following bills:
GENERAL A:#429–449 $ 41,791.60
GENERAL B:#66–69 $ 3,555.07
HIGHWAY:#117–118 $ 76,010.78
SEWER:#69–71 $ 2,596.15.
All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
- Tripken: He is disappointed by topic of discussion. He tries to make an educated decision. He’s done his own investigating. He recommends to people to go to other places that have fire districts. He believes the board should have had an informal meeting to inform the public of the fire district. Not whether you are pro or con. He would like the board to act as educators. You should have that information to let people know that don’t have that information. Supervisor Volpe: if this was forming, you’re right we should have public hearings. It’s already a district. They’re their own government. We can’t supersede them and say let’s have a public hearing on the fire district because they are their own governing body. That would have been up to the fire commissioners that are in place now. (He directs any phone calls to the fire district.) D. Tripken: as a board, when I would call you for any information, you would end up being able to give me better information than a neighbor who doesn’t know. The biggest joke I know, is once you tell somebody it’s gonna hit you in the pocket, more taxes, that’s all everyone tells me. So are we or not? As a board, the board should have more information. I would expect that if you didn’t know you would say I don’t know but I will find out. If I ran for council, I would be busy because that’s what I would do. I think the board could have done a little bit more.
RESOLUTION TO ADJOURN MEETING:
MOTION offered by Councilman Ketcham seconded by Councilman Howell to adjourn the meeting at 7:58pm. All in favor: Howell, Ketcham, Volpe, Cambareri; carried.
The next meeting is scheduled for August 18, 2014 at 7:30pm.
Kathleen A. Myers